Saturday, June 7, 2014

Kamado Joe - In search of the Perfect Pizza - Attempt #1



What a disaster, one of my main reasons for picking up a Kamado is my love of pizza, but so far I can tell this is going to be a challenge…

Pizza attempt #1 was kinda of rushed and not as home made as I would have liked. As you can see from the above image, the crust really puffed up on me and did not darken up as mush as I would have liked.. who wants a pasty white crust?

Learning's:

Don't buy store bought pizza crust, yes some stores sell fresh pizza dough, but how fresh, how well proofed and what they are made of will still be a mystery. I had a hard time stretching my dough, and it could have been because it was fairly cold, or it could have been over worked.

Do to my over working and the length of time I needed to stretch the pizza I used more flour then I would have hopped, and thus effecting the overall cook.

As for toppings I used fresh mozzarella (in water) I think this was a mistake as it released some water during the cook, wetting down the sauce. I also used a basic tomato puree with some fresh garlic. The sauce really could have used a boost as it imparted little to no taste

As mentioned above I kinda rushed into this cook, and although I heated the BBQ to 550 degrees, I did not leave the pizza stone on the grill long enough to properly heat up.. thus the crust cooked much slower then expected and I did not get that nice crunch and pull that I was looking for. It was almost bread like in texture.


Heat Source & Tools

(1) Kamado Joe (red bag) Charcoal 
(2) Kamado Joe Pizza Stone
(3) Kamado Joe Heat Deflector



Pizza attempt #2 will be posted soon, the results were better, but still not great



No comments:

Post a Comment