Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Kamado Joe - Rosemary Seared Lamp Chops



Lamb is one most under appreciated meats for the BBQ, and this past weekend when I saw these nice looking shoulder chops I just couldn't pass them up. It took all I had to let them sit for the full 24 hour marinade time, but believe me this won't be my last lamb cook this season







Lamb is a hearty meat that can take big flavour, so I ran with a simple but punchy marinade consisting of olive oil, minced/crushed garlic, rosemary and a  hint of cayenne. I let this stew overnight 

While bringing the grill to temp I hit it with salt and pepper (about 30 minutes prior to the cook)





The grill is set up for both direct and indirect, once the temp hits 375-400 degrees I tossed the lamb shoulder chops on over direct heat and grill for 2 minutes to 2 minutes 30 seconds per side.

At this time if you like your lamb medium well to well done, you can move it off the heat and place it on indirect for 2-4 more minutes

Tip: while cooking over direct heat has a water filled spray bottle handy, as the fat and oil coming off your chops will cause flare ups. Attempt to use the spray bottle instead of moving the chops.





Once cooked to desired doneness, pull the chops and let them rest for 5 minutes.


Optional Sides


I like to serve this lamb with couscous and a small salad of cucumber, tomatoes and peppers. Couscous is nice and works great to sop up the juices from the lamb. Both the couscous and the salad can be made while the lamb rests so it is still super fresh when dinner is ready


Sauces & Rubs & Marinades

(1) Garlic Rosemay Marinade


Heat Source & Tools

(1) Basques Natures Own (green bag) Charcoal 
(2) Kamado Joe Heat Deflector (half)





No comments:

Post a Comment