Friday, June 27, 2014

Kamado Joe - Cheap Night - BBQ Drumsticks & Asparagus Spears




If you are ever looking for a nice quick and cheap meal, there is no better place to start then a flat of chicken drumsticks and some asparagus spears.. add a side salad and you are still under $10 to feed 2-3 people

Drumsticks have always been a crowd pleaser and until this day I still favor them over most other cuts of chicken.. on the BBQ anyways. here is a quick flavourful meal for any night of the week.






Set up your Kamado for indirect cooking, if you have the Divide and Conquer model you only need to set up one side for indirect and leave the other open for direct.. I do this so I can add a quick blister to my veggies and chicken at the end of the cook

Shake down and rub your drumsticks with your fav rub (or just salt and pepper)





Depending on the size of your drumsticks they will take between 45 minutes to an hour to cook. In a Kamado they stay nice and juicy so there is little worry of slightly over cooking them





At the 45 minute mark I sauce the drumsticks, turn, re-sauce, turn re-sauce and then move to direct heat to add a bit of blister to the skin and caramelize the sauce… then move them off the grill to rest




For my Asparagus, I usually finely chop cilantro, juice a lemon and toss it all in olive oil, and let it  marinate while the chicken is cooking. Just prior to hitting the grill I hit it with some salt and pepper and place them on my veggie skewers

And since I know you'll ask, you can find these veggies skewers  HERE

Asparagus does not take long over charcoal and since I like mine a bit softer then most I will not give you a time here, just keep moving them and you will until they are slightly blistered, soft internally and still have a nice snap when broken



There you have it, a quick cheap and relatively healthy meal on your Kamado in under an hour


Sauces & Rubs

(1) Ted Reader "Bone Dust"
(2) Guy Fieri "Kansas BBQ Sauce"

Heat Source & Tools

(1) Basques Natures Own (green bag) Charcoal 
(2) Kamado Joe Heat Deflector (half)
(3) Veggie Raft Skewers

No comments:

Post a Comment