Saturday, July 5, 2014

Kamado Joe - In search of the perfect Pizza - Attempt #3




With each cook I seem to get closer and closer to pizza perfection. On my third attempt I have found the perfect dough recipe and with a few tweaks to my cooking method I think I will be able to achieve the crust I'm looking for when I attempt cook #4

Tip: When learning a new technique it is good to focus on one or two new things instead of trying a bunch of things. For example on cooks 1 and 2, I made both the dough and the sauce from scratch (new recipes), this is all well and good but it was hard for me to decipher what I liked and didn't like and why. So on this cook I made the dough from scratch but used a store bought sauce that I know I like. Once I nail the crust I will begin the pursuit for the perfect sauce(s)

Tip: Pizza cooks takes some time, so watch out for charcoal that burns hot and fast. The CowBoy brand heats up hot fast, but it also  burns up fast.. meaning that while I heated up my pizza stone for the required 45minutes to an hour, I was quickly loosing charcoal at the rate that I would need to add more in order to keep my temps up through the entire cook

Mistake: I still did not get my pizza high enough into the dome to achieve the perfect cook. In order to do so I think I will need the grill expander, so I bought one and hope to have it in hand shortly to give it a try. Not having my pizza close to dome did not get me as much all around heat thus the toppings although cooked where not as well done as the crust


Sauce & Crust

(1) Brown Eyed Baker "Thin Crust"
(2) Classico Pizza Sauce 


Heat Source & Tools

(1) Cowboy Brand Charcoal 
(2) Kamado Joe Pizza Stone
(3) Kamado Joe Heat Deflector
(4) Infrared Temperature Gun


No comments:

Post a Comment