Sunday, June 15, 2014

Kamado Joe - My First Brisket



Once you buy your first smoker you know it is just a matter of time before your start doing up briskets, ribs and other low and slow cuts of meat that these bbq's excel at. Once you have the smoker, all you need next is the time, and this past weekend I had just that




On Friday night on my way home from work I swing by a local butcher shop to see if he had any briskets left. Lucky for me he did, and was willing to cut the flat off for me, as the 4lb was more then enough for my wife and I, and the full brisket would simply have gone to waste.

Once home I gave the brisket a once over with my knife removing any excess fat



Once trimmed up it was time to give this beast a rub down. I use the rub from Muddy's Pit BBQ in Keene, Ontario, they are on of my favourite places to eat and their rub and sauce are simply amazing.

Once rubbed down I made some slits in the fat cap then wrapped the brisket in plastic wrap and stored it in the fridge over night




On Saturday morning I was out of bed at 7:30 (ugh) and had the Kamado heating up to a temp of 250. Once there I tossed in 4 chunks of Nature's Grilling  hickory and placed my heat deflector on the grill and positioned a drip pan under my brisket. I instead a digital thermometer in the meat in order to keep an eye on the internal temp





Nearly 4 hours into the cook, this is what y Brisket looked like. It was now hovering around the 150 degree mark and fully stalled, so I headed some advice I read on-line and wrapped it up in tinfoil and placed it back on the grill.




Just after 5pm my brisket finally broke the 200 degree mark and was ready to be pulled. Again heeding advise I quickly added some apple juice to the brisket, re-foiled it and then wrapped it in a towel. Once cozy I placed it in a cooler bag and zipped it up tight





One and half hours later my brisket was ready to cut and of course EAT!


Lesson/Tips:


(1) Being my first low and slow cook I had some trouble keeping the temp at 250 or under, so in the first hour I was chasing temps as high as 300 and on average 275. I believe this was often due to not letting it fully adjust and settle in prior to tweaking the grates, more patience would have allowed me to settle in quicker.

(2) I found my brisket to be slightly dryer then I had hoped, during my next attempt I will try filling my drip pan with water to add moisture during the cook.

(3) Foil Wrapping is very helpful, that stall period around 150 degrees lasts a long time, foiling the meat will kick start it and help keep some juices in while you cook.

(4) My smoke ring was perfect (if I do say so myself) but the bark could have used some help. I'm wondering if this is because I did not use oil or mustard as a base to hold my rub on and build it up.

(5) Left over brisket makes for great hot-beef sandwhiches


Sauces & Rubs

(1) Muddy's Pit BBQ Rub
(2) Muddy's Pit BBQ Sauce

Heat Source & Tools

(1) Basques Natures Own Charcoal 
(2) Nature's Grilling Wood Chunks (Hickory)
(3) Kamado Joe Heat Deflector
(4) Maverick Digital Thermometer








No comments:

Post a Comment