Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Charcoal Review: Natures Own by Basques




There is already an amazing website that reviews every kind of Charcoal imaginable, and to be honest I use it when trying to decide on trying out a new brand.. I can't complete with the scientific like study they do on each brand they review, so my reviews will focus solely on my on my own experiences and how the brands compare to others I've tried


Heat, Temp & Length of Cook


Natures own is a good all around charcoal. I found it worked best for cooks between 225-500 degrees, meaning it is great with slow and low as well as searing steaks or other cuts.

It did seem to take me longer to reach temps of 500+ degrees with this brand, so take that into consideration when cooking pizza or other items that require scorching hot temps

As it breaks down over the cooking process its creates a lot of ash. I seemed to spend more time cleaning my Kamado after each use then with other brands I tested

This charcoal has no issues holding temps over long slow cooks. it is perfectly matched with ribs, briskets and other meats that you want that smokey meaty flavour 


Smell & Taste

Natures own has a great smokey smell that hits you the minute you open the bag and stays with you throughout the cook. Out of the 3 brands I have used thus far, it does have superior smell and flavour (Red bag Kamado Joe, CowBoy being the other two).

I love the east that Natures Own imparts during a cook. I find it is more subtle then other brands but still imparts a flavour you can recognize.


Price & Availability

I purchased mine from Costco at $9 a bag (a steal), they usually retail for $12.99 but watch for crazy sales and load up when you can. Here are some other options for purchasing


Lowes (Canada)

Costco (Canada)

Giant Tiger (Canada)


Recommended Uses


As mentioned above Natures Own is a great all around charcoal with excellent flavour. I recommend using it for medium to long cooks such as:

  • full or split chickens
  • ribs
  • brisket
  • various pork cuts
  • burgers
  • steaks

.




If your looking for more,  be sure to check out Naked Whiz HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment