Friday, May 30, 2014

Kamado Joe - My Frist Cook - Seared Prime Rib Steaks


It did not take me long to put u Kamado Joe to use, and since my Grill Grates arrived in the mail the very same day as my KJ, I thought what better way to kick things off then with a couple of Prime Rib steaks paired with baked potatoes (sorry in my excite I missed shooting pics of the potatoes)

I started off by getting the KJ up to 350-370, it took about 20 minutes to get there and stabilize. I then greased up a pair of bakers with olive oil and a heavy dose of salt and pepper, foil wrapped them and put them on the grill over indirect heat for 45 minutes (yeah that was enough).

Once the potatoes were done I pulled the heat deflector and added the Grill grates. Opening up the air vents I brought the KJ up to 550 and dropped the steaks (1" each) for 3 minutes per side.

The grill grates worked as advertised giving me those perfect diamond sear marks.





Tips:


I slightly over cooked these steaks, but being that it was my first time using the BBQ and the grates Im going to go easy on myself. Im not sure if it was the resting period that go me, or if the steaks were just not thick enough to hold up to that cook.. next time I will be shortening the cook slightly to 2 minutes per side

When using grill grates you need to watch your rub or spice mixture, the extreme heat applied by the grates can give them a burnt or bitter taste.. keep it simple and you will be happier with the outcome


Heat Source & Tools


(1) Kamado Joe (red bag) Charcoal 
(2) Grill Grates




No comments:

Post a Comment