Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Apple Rosemary Beer Can Chicken




Note: The below recipe is from KamadoGuru forum user DerHusker. When I saw his post I immediately purchased all the ingredients to do up my own slightly tweaked version. If you would like to see the original click HERE.. if not keep reading and try not to drool on your keyboard. As always I will lead with the step by step, and you will find the ingredient and tool list at the bottom.

Alright lets get started

to kick off a good Beer Can chicken I start by loading up the Kamado Joe and getting it heating up to 375 degrees for a fast cook (45mins-1hr) or 275 for a slow cook (2 hrs). As the Q is heating I place all the ingredients below (except the cider) into a food processor and give it a blend until it is paste like or looking kinda like pesto consistence.

Tip: Add the oil slowly you may need more, or less depending on how runny or solid you would like your wet rub,

Tip: Most of these ingredients you can eyeball, but the cinnamon and sage should be fairly accurate, Both of these are strong and can take over the dish



Once the wet rub is ready, start to work it up under the skin of the chicken. Get a good couple tablespoon under there and then proceed to use the rest of the rub on the outside of the bird.

Once coated its time to add the "beer can" portion of the recipe. If your not into booze you could use standard apple juice or non alcoholic cider, but I opted for a can of Somersby Apply Cider, it is a personal fav of mine and adds a ton sweetness and flavour… not to mention I get to

Tip: When trying to get up under the chicken skin, use the handle end of a butter knife and work slowly in order not to rip the skin.  Use your hands to add the wet rub a little at a time and work it in as deep as you can

Tip: Watch your can size, the Somersby can is a little large for smaller chickens, just cram it on or pour the cider into a smaller can.





Once on the grill just set it and forget it. I rarely check in my my birds, unless I see excessive smoke or want to rotate it a bit. The cook was only interrupted once at which time I spun the chicken to ensure an even cook.

I always probe my chicken in the breast and thigh looking for it to reach above 165. Once there I pull the chicken from the grill and let it rest for at least 5 minutes prior to quartering.




Ingredients:

1           Roaster Chicken (3lbs)
1           Green Apple (diced)
3           Sprigs of Rosemary
3-5        Sage Leaves (dried is also fine)
1/2 tsp   Ginger (minced)
1/4 tsp   Cinnamon
2 tbsp    Montreal Chicken Spice
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1    Can  Somersby Apple Cider


As mentioned above this recipe is my own take on a recipe that can be found on the KamadoGuru forum HERE

Sides: I paired this dish with roasted sweet potato and a salad of arugula, BBQ apples and fig balsamic dressing

Heat Source & Tools

(1) Royal Oak (Blue Bag)
(2) Kamado Joe Heat Deflector
(3) BeerCan Chicken Stand




No comments:

Post a Comment